Nature continually fascinates me. Always has. Always will.
For me, research is the best part of every painting. It's essential to do justice to each subject. Hours are spent outdoors. Nature centers, parks, zoos, aquariums, butterfly houses, and gardens provide valuable observations and information. Numerous photos are taken and collected. Field guides are poured over.
Accomplished Professional Designer/Illustrator ~
In addition to taking wildlife art seriously, I take design and project deadlines seriously. With over 20 years of professional experience, projects include commissioned work for: Cornell University; New York State Educational Research Network; Army Corps of Engineers; University of Chicago Press; State University of New York Medical Center; and Laubach Literacy International.
Fine Arts Degree ~
Being awarded a scholarship from the Rosamond Gifford Foundation made it all possible.
• Associates Degree 1981, Rochester Institute of Technology NY, Dean’s List
• Bachelor of Arts Degree 1983, State University of NY, College at Buffalo , Dean’s List. Final semester of study overseas: Salisbury College, Adelaide, South Australia. After graduating college, literally hit the road, hitchhiking and backpacking solo through the Australian Outback to Darwin.
Because travel, like art, is about seeing, the adventures did not stop. Also visited over time: Greece, Turkey, UK, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Yugoslavia, Indonesia, Japan, Tahiti, New Zealand, Finland, Russia, Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, South Africa, Peru, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and throughout the US.
Juried Shows and Awards ~
• Thousand Islands Art Center, Clayton NY, Along the River's Edge, 2017 and 2018
• Tohono Chul Botanical Park, Tucson AZ, Arizona Centennial, January 2012, and Arizona Pollinators, May 2012
• New York State Fair, Syracuse NY, State Wildlife Art Competition, 2003-2008, 2nd Place Ribbon 2008
• Frank Stick Memorial Art Show, Manteo NC • Honorable Mention, January 2006
• Beach Book Competition, Manteo NC, People’s Choice Award, 2006
• WCNY PBS series Visual Arts Showcase, Liverpool NY, 2005 and 2006
• Delavan Gallery, Syracuse NY, November 2005